Picture dot com

This week Alison has felt pretty good most of the week. We even got the entire house cleaned on Saturday for the first time in a long time. It was nice to have the house clean (even if it doesn't last very long.)

Our gardens are starting to grow wonderfully. We stole some lettuce, strawberries, raspberries, chives, and other various plants from Sheila and Scott (they had some extra that had volunteered from last year). The raspberries died, and so did most of the lettuce, but the strawberries, mint, and chives transplanted like champs.

We got a weed whacker last week, and tried it out this week (a little bit). It worked well. I still need to whack most of the weeds in the front yard. The funny thing is that the more weeds that I look at the more edible plants that I am finding in the yard. As of yet we have lambs-quarters, mallow, henpeck, alfalfa, blue mustard, shepherds purse, nettle, and I am sure that we will find other varieties edible as we look more.

We have also found a huge crop of volunteer sunflowers and radishes in the garden (growing among the tomatoes and the onions). Though we don't really want them there, it is hard to get rid of plants that are obviously eager to grow in our garden.

We have also found a decent crop of field mushrooms in the back yard, and three puffball mushrooms in a neighbor's yard. Though they are not the best mushrooms in the world it is nice to not have to hunt all over to find them.

It has been raining more and more here. Alison and I have been enjoying it (even though it is making us want to live somewhere where there is a lot more rain.) We looked into what it would take to add geothermal heating to a house, and I think that it is likely that when we move out east and build a hobbit hole it will be geothermally heated (as well as photo-voltaicly powered).

I went to Google I/O extended the last three days of the week, and learned some cool stuff. I am currently working on a website/phone app that will serve as a bank for the kids (so that they can have accounts and not have to deal with (and lose) physical money). I hope to get it done soon, though I have been having some trouble with getting the different pages to work.

While on lunch break at Google I/O, I played Moar Moai with some of my co-workers that were also attending the conference, and they had some excellent ideas for changes to the game. I plan on adding them to the game soon, however first I will finish this app that I have been working on.

For my birthday I am taking the family up to lake Winnipeg in Canada to see a viking festival and go camping. It will be the first time that any of them have left the United States, so we got some passport photos taken for them. Rea and Sara did wonderfully, but Timmy would not smile for anything. His photo ended up being him with his eyebrows furrowed and his lips puckered in concentration. Fortunately he didn't fall over and get a bloody nose until after the picture was taken.

We have also been reading more Howls Moving castle this week, and the girls have been really enjoying it, although Timmy has only been tolerating it.

On Saturday we went over to Star's birthday party at Heather's house. The kids all had a grand time and dressed up as princesses. They got lovely bling, so it was sort of a hobbit birthday.

Finally, Sara named this post. I don't really know what it means, but it must have to do with the pictures in it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The marshmallow cream trainwreck

In which we blacken someone's name

Not Penguins