Traditional Haircuts: Fact or Fiction?*

My genetic algorithm for dominion is having problems. On some sets of kingdom cards it works properly, but on others it just fails right out. I am wondering if there is the possibility of a paper scissor rock type situation, where the best guy in one generation is of a strategy that all of the other guys eventually learn how to overcome, and then they are dominant, and then other people develop strategies that overcome all of the 'second generation' winners, and then the third generation winners are weak against the original strategy. If this is the case, then I may need a way to increase genetic variance in the middle of the simulation.

We accidentally taught Andrea that if she gets hurt she will be sent to her room. The way that this happened is as follows:

When Andrea gets in  trouble for being disobedient or for throwing a tantrum we send her to her room and almost always say "This is so sad" while we pick her up.

When Andrea gets hurt we often say "That is sad" as we go to hug her.

Apparently those two phrases and gestures are similar enough that when she gets hurt she thinks that we are about to send her to her room, so she has started to say "Happy! Happy!" when she is hurt so that she won't have to get sent to her room. It is a sad, but also a little funny because when she is telling us she is happy she is crying.

We haven't yet been able to successfully talk to her about this and explain to her that being sad is OK if you got hurt.

One way that we have tried using is to have either mom or dad pretend to get hurt and then have the other one comfort them and tell them that it is OK, but that doesn't seem to have worked.

I recently got a new wheel for my ordinary bike, but the wheel had a sharp spot on the rim, and it punctured my tire. I bought a Bell brand 'Deluxe Patch-it' bicycle tube repair kit, but it worked worse than I thought was possible. Basically they sold me tiny water proof post-it notes. Without any air in the tire they wouldn't even stick. I would recommend that anyone reading this blog does not purchase any Bell brand bike gear. I know that I won't make that mistake again.

I have been playing a lot of 'Race for the Galaxy' against the computer recently. The game has a lot of good strategy in it, and it is surprising what you can do with various set ups. Perhaps I will bring it to a family get together some time soon.

* This post has nothing to do with traditional hair cuts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The marshmallow cream trainwreck

In which we blacken someone's name

Not Penguins